Visit Volterra and San Gimignano on our One-Day Trip from Florence
With our San Gimignano and Volterra Private Tour from Florence with Wine Tasting, you spend one day visiting two charming historic towns in the heart of Tuscany. You will walk around and feel like time has stopped there. Indeed, these places are full of history and art. For this reason, they belong to the UNESCO’s World Heritage. In addition, you can choose to join a unique wine tasting in the Chianti region, one of the most beautiful wine districts in the world.
Exclusive Tour to San Gimignano and Volterra with (optional) Wine Tasting in a local Cellar
Private Groups, Unique Experience
Only High Quality Italian Wines
Free Cancellation until 14 days before
Please, do not choose us if you like crowded tours.
From your Hotel in Florence to San Gimignano and Volterra
Our driver will pick up you and your group directly from your accommodation in Florence with our comfortable Minivan. Then you will start our San Gimignano and Volterra Private Day Tour from Florence with Wine Tasting. San Gimignano is usually our first stop. It is located almost 60 km far from Florence. The trip to our destination will be very scenic. In fact, you will be able to admire the fascinating Tuscan landscape with its rolling hills.
San Gimignano: medieval towers and local products
Also called the Manhattan of the Middle Ages for the presence of medieval towers, the town of San Gimignano is located on a hill 334 meters above the sea level. The 14 towers rising from the hill make the medieval skyline of this town unique. Indeed, you can spot it and easily recognize it from a distance. The towers used to symbolize the power of the rich families. Indeed, they wanted to show their economic importance to others. There were more than 70 towers, but many were destroyed during the centuries. Today only 14 of them are still standing. The town is also famous for its local products thanks to the enchanting and fertile area surround it. You find here the dry white wine Vernaccia di San Gimignano, saffron and golden ham.
What You Will See during Your Private Tour in San Gimignano
The historic centre of San Gimignano, like many other places in Tuscany, belongs to the World Heritage of Unesco for the many well-preserved buildings inside its walls. Indeed, you find here many examples of Romanesque and Gothic architecture. Our expert will tell you about San Gimignano and show you its main attractions. Besides the stone towers, you will see:
- Piazza della Cisterna, the main square,
- Palazzo Comunale, the town hall,
- Piazza Duomo, another important square, where the Collegiata Cathedral and its bell tower are located,
- The Church of Sant’ Agostino, with many artworks from the early Italian Renaissance.
Volterra: another medieval jewel in Tuscany
Like San Gimingnano, in Volterra you will feel like being back in the Middle Ages. Here, you will discover narrow streets full of well-preserved buildings and ruins of ancient Etruscan walls. The historic centre of this hilltown is also included in the World Heritage list of UNESCO for the historical beauty. Moreover, here different populations dominated the area over the centuries. Indeed, the Etruscans were the first ones to settle down in Volterra, but you can see also Roman buildings and medieval ruins.
This town is also famous for its alabaster production, a soft rock easy to model. This material has been extracted from the nearby caves since the Etruscan times. Nowadays, many artisans dedicate to create handmade ornaments with alabaster. In fact, you will see many workshops in the old town.
What you will discover in Volterra on our Private Tour from Florence
In Volterra, there is really a lot to see. Our expert will give you important info about this jewel in Tuscany and show you around its main attractions. Among these:
- Piazza dei Priori, the main square, with the famous Palazzo dei Priori (City Hall), the oldest civic building in Tuscany (13th century),
- the Palazzo Pretorio (external) with its tower, probably the first one built in Volterra,
- the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, a Romanesque Church with a marvellous coffered ceiling with floral and geometric elements,
- the Etruscan City Walls with the ancient Etruscan port
- the Roman Amphitheatre, dating back to the 1st century BCE, with remains of some Roman baths as well,
- the Medicean Fortress (from the Florentine Medici family), overlooking the town from the highest point of the hill.
We are sure you will enjoy your free time in Volterra.
Things you cannot miss in Volterra.
(Optional) Wine Tasting to discover the flavours of Tuscany
If you wish, you can join an exclusive wine tasting and make your experience in Tuscany complete. During your stay in our region, you cannot miss our good wines and local products. We can have a stop in a selected winery in Volterra, where an expert will tell you about wine making and show you a local cellar. You can taste authentic Tuscan Chianti, Vernaccia (of San Gimignano), Vin Santo (a sweet dessert wine produced in the Chianti Region), Brunello and many other Italian good wines. To enjoy a proper wine tasting, there will be combined local products and a classic slice of bread with delicious local Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||From your Hotel / Accommodation|
|DURATION||Approx. 8 hours|
|SUGGESTED CLOTHING||Comfortable clothing, hat, jacket and sunscreen.|
Departure From Your Accommodation
Visit in San Gimignano
Visit in Volterra
Optional: Tuscan Wine and Olive Oil Degustation
Return at your Accommodation
Prices of The Tour: 500,00€
Request More Info About San Gimignano and Volterra Private Day Tour from Florence
Terms And Conditions
- Deposit 50% is required at reservation time, by credit card or paypal (in both case 4% more) in order to guarantee your reservation.
- Due payment may be made in cash in EURO the day of the tour.
- There will be a full charge to your deposit for bookings canceled less than 48 hours prior or for no-shows.
- No charge for cancellations made with at least 48 hours prior notice. If you are interested in proceeding we will send you the complete terms of service upon request.
- They can also be viewed on the website by clicking the TERMS AND CONDITIONS link at the bottom of any page.